Black Horse lies about 34 miles southeast of Ely.
The discovery of gold here in 1905 was accidental. A lone prospector caught in heavy winds and rain found shelter under an overhanging ledge, and while waiting out the the storm made a few taps on the rock. What he chipped off looked interesting, and after an assay revealed a high gold content a rush developed in which most miners in nearby Osceola joined. Within six months a camp had formed with 400 people housed in tents and wooden shacks. A crude mill began operating in 1909 and was replaced by a slightly larger one the following year. By the end of 1911 the ore veins had thinned and Black Horse came to a halt in 1913.
No buildings, or foundations remain.