The Boss claim (No. 28, pl. 30) is high on a ridge about a half mile east of Sandy Valley, in the Goodsprings Mining District, in Clark County. The history of the Boss mine is separable into two periods. The first begins with the discovery of the lode and location of the Boss claim by Joseph Yount on January 1, 1886, and covers the 28 years during which it was intermittently worked as a source of copper and gold. During this period the three upper and lowest tunnels were run. About 1898 an option was given to Emory Hershing, who, on the basis of this and an option on the Columbia mine, erected a mill to treat the ore near the town of Goodsprings. The mill was sold in 1902 to the Yellow Pine Mining Co., and it formed the nucleus of the mill used by that compnay until it burned in 1924. About 200 tons of copper ore was mined at the Boss Mine from 1898 to 1900.
The second period of the mine's history begins with the discovery of platinium in the ore by H.K. Riddall about march 1, 1914, and the coincident formation of the Boss Gold Mining Co.. After a little exploration an option on the mine was given in September 1914, to W.C. Price and associates, of Los Angeles, for $200,000, of which $50,000 was paid in cash. They organized the Platinium Gold Mining Co., and carried out extensive development, but shipped no ore. When they failed to complete the purchase, the mine reverted back to the owners in October 1915, and they mined all of the ore in sight. Except for two brief periods of exploration and current assessment work, there has been no mining on the property since 1919.
One report in 1922 states that the stopes from which most of the ore was removed is filled with waste. The total production of the Boss mine is about 3,500 tons of ore with a gross value of around $210,000.
Hewett’s USGS Professional Paper 162.
Glossary of Terms