In July 1866 a party of prospectors returning to Austin from a trip farther east, headed along the east flank of the Monitor Range, Running short on provisions, the party traveled through Danville Canyon in the belief that they were making a beeline for the nearest settlements. On the way they discovered silver.
Nothing came of this find until 1870 when the reorganization of the district resulted in a camp. Several wagonloads of ore were shipped to Austin for treatment, but after about 1872 the mines were abandoned. A revival in the 1880s was large enough to support a camp with post office. Thereafter danville had many ups and downs, with heavy stress on the downs. revivals also took place between 1909 and 1914 and as late as 1940-42.