Discoveries of “jewelry quality” gold ore occurred here first in 1907, and a townsite was platted out. It was a short boom, and for several months only limited mining took place until Charles and James Scossa made a strike here in 1930. Prospectors poured in after the Saturday Evening Post published a story about the strike.
For the next six years Scossa was one of Nevada’s largest producers of gold. In 1937 the veins played out and the town declined, and was abandoned.