Silver-lead ore was discovered here in 1879, but only small amounts of lead ore were shipped out. In 1919, "Pop" Simon purchased several properties in the area and organized the Simon Silver-Lead Mines Company, and a post office was established.
In 1921 the Simon Silver-Lead Mines Company built a 100 Ton floatation mill and began processing ore. In 1923 the mill was enlarged to handle 250 tons per day, and continued to operate till 1927. The Simon Mine was reworked in the 1930's and in 1931 there was a power failure for 18 hours in the Mineral County Power System that caused the mine to flood. While the power was out the water was able to rise to the top of the 1000ft level, drowning out the pumps and short-circuiting the motor in spite of efforts to raise it as high as possible. The mining company was not able to regain the use of this level of the mine.