Weepah is located about 15 miles northeast of Silver Peak.
After Indians discovered shallow gold pockets in 1902, about 200 people rushed to Weepah (means “rainwater” in Shoshone), but the rush died out in a few weeks. In 1927 gold was rediscovered by two miners from Tonopah, and it was assayed at $70,000 a ton. This became the Weepah boom, and a throng of motorized vehicles developed into the wildest Nevada mining stampede since Rochester and Rawhide. Within a week, 1000 gold rushers showed up and staked claims.
By the end of March 1927, the three roads to Weepah were jammed with cars; western Nevada railroads had to put on extra coaches to handle the throng of gold seekers, and the new town soon had a population around 2000. By April the town had about 60 frame buildings. Most were gone by the end of 1927.
In 1934, an open pit silver mine and 350-ton mill was built. This operation lasted until 1938.