The town was formed in 1905 and a townsite was platted in 1906. A Post Office was opened in July of 1906. The town came to life with the revival of mines in Blue Jacket Canyon and Bull Run. The town was the center of what was once known as the Centennial Mining District. The population peaked in 1907 with 150 residents. Aura served as a supply depot for local mining companies and miners and was a stop on the western branch of the Northern Stage Company.
The town had a saloon, several stores and boarding houses. As long as there was mining in the area, Aura remained alive. By 1917 the bulk of mining activity in the district was over and most people had left and the town of Aura emptied. The Post Office closed on September 30, 1921, but the school remained open until 1927. The only thing that remains of Aura is the stone walls of the saloon.